Sunday 4 March 2012

Christian Karaoke

An artist’s authenticity and sincerity are always questioned. Whether it is in regards to their identity, actions or statements, celebrities are never free from scrutiny. This is even truer for artists who identify themselves as Christians, incorporate Christianity in their music or practice religion in their day-to-day lives. Critics always seem to perceive a separation between what an artist says or does and what they actually intend.

The topic of this week’s lecture really questions something we do quite naturally. Why DO we think some artists are more sincere and authentic than others when they allow their Christian beliefs to influence their music? Why does Amy Grant integrate religion in music in a more acceptable manner than Lady Gaga?

My immediate response to these questions was that the artist’s identity must have some determinative influence on how their music is received. In order to demonstrate that the musician actually influences how others perceive the integration of religion in their music, I want to contrast two songs by well-known artists. Although this comparison may seem a little absurd, Carrie Underwood’s “Jesus Take the Wheel” and Lil Wayne’s “Pray to the Lord” have very strong parallels yet are viewed differently.

“Jesus Take the Wheel” (Carrie Underwood)
“It was still getting colder when she made it to the shoulder
And the car came to a stop
She cried when she saw that baby in the backseat sleeping like a rock
And for the first time in a long time
She bowed her head to pray
She said I'm sorry for the way
I've been living my life
I know I've got to change
So from now on tonight

Jesus take the wheel
Take it from my hands
Cause I can't do this on my own
I'm letting go
So give me one more chance
To save me from this road I'm on
Jesus take the wheel”


“Pray to the Lord” (Lil Wayne)
“Before I sleep
I pray to the lord my soul to keep
And if I shall die before I awake
I pray to the lord, my soul to take
For goodness sake

I wrote my will just the other week
And what's funny it was only one sheet
And I know there's only one me
But I hope I am everything my son be
I’m trying to live right stay on the drum beat
But I’m in the fast lane, in the front seat
I wonder will I lose control of the Mazerati
And hit some tree just being young me
Is there a heaven for G’s and soldiers?
I can’t go to hell… cause I’ll take over
I feel it approaching but I aint scared.
I made that bed and I should rest in peace.
Yea and every time I see the sunshine
I drop down and give thanks at least one time
Feeling like I’m living on the frontline”

Both songs are from the perspective of an individual who is struggling with their life course and seeking some form of spiritual guidance. The redemptive forces of faith are heavily present in both sets of lyrics. In “Jesus Take the Wheel” Carrie Underwood sings about needing faith and guidance after acknowledging regrets and poor choices. Lil Wayne similarly realizes his broken path and contemplates life after death. The themes of redemption and atonement are thread throughout both pieces. But the question remains; why is someone like Carrie Underwood commended for her ability to integrate these Christian notions in her music while Lil Wayne is viewed with more skepticism?

In class this question was answered by demonstrating the relationship between theatrics and profit. Some artists just incorporate a “shocking” depiction of Christianity to generate controversy while increasing CD sales. But is this really the only influencing factor? Carrie Underwood obviously has an interest in making sure people buy her albums. But why does this not make her an insincere person while Lil Wayne is cast with the bad reputation? They both want people to purchase their albums so should would they both be equally insincere in how they integrate Christianity in their craft? Apparently not. I believe it has a great deal to do with the artist himself. Both songs discuss the importance redemption and atonement and were placed on albums that the artists want sold. So how did “Take the Wheel” become a ‘crossover hit’ in top 40 music? Why did Lil Wayne’s song not become a “crossover hit” in the Christian genre?

Perhaps it’s the fact that Lil Wayne has “fear God” tattooed on his eyelids while Carrie Underwood flaunts porcelain skin and baby blue eyes, but these songs are received by audiences in completely different ways. Critics may just have a hard time believing that a convicted felon feels the same as a “girl-next-door” country singer when it comes to faith and religion. As a result, I believe that sincerity and authenticity have nothing to do with what an artist actually intends to say/do and more to do with what audiences believe about them.

Carrie Underood's "Jessus Take the Wheel"

Lil Wayne's "Pray to the Lord"


No comments:

Post a Comment