Saturday 28 January 2012

Welcome!

Despite my previous attempts at starting a blog, the process usually always ended the exact same way. After spending five hours customizing font colours, selecting background graphics and agonizing over a witty title, I always come to the realization that I don’t really know how to start, what to say, or what topic to even focus my blog on. Would people even read it? Needless to say, I gave up the dream of ever becoming a famous blogger.

When the blog was announced as one of the project choices I was very excited. I believe the study of religion and pop culture is contentious and important. There is great uncertainty in regards to which influences the other, whether this is a positive relationship or if the result is the exploitation of the other. Christianity is always a source of reference within pop culture. Whether it is the last season of Dexter, an episode of The Simpsons or a film about the life of Jesus Christ, it is greatly evident that Christianity is so pervasive it has no choice but to penetrate the realm of popular culture. It is the job of the individual (or in this case, me, the blogger) to sift through the overt and subtle presentation of Christian narratives and principles in forms of pop culture to determine whether it is exploitation for gain, a modern interpretation of Christian teachings or a helpful application of Catholic virtues.

On that note, I welcome you to my blog for SMC305 and look forward to engaging with many of you as we explore the relationship between Christianity and popular culture!


No comments:

Post a Comment